The OMS Montessori Board of Directors is guided by the best interests of students, teachers and staff.
The Element and OMS Board of Directors includes:
- Five Parent members,
- Four External members,
- One Staff Representative (non-voting member),
- The Head of Schools (non-voting member),
- The Director of The Element High School (non-voting member)
The Board of Directors is tasked with ensuring both The Element and OMS achieve long-term, sustained realization of the vision of our schools.
- Parent Directors bring their passion and a desire to see their child’s school evolve with the children.
- External Directors bring specialized skills, knowledge and objectivity to the Board.
- The Head of Schools, The Element High School Director, and the Staff Participant bring corporate history and their deep understanding of Montessori principles and how they impact OMS and the students.
- Directors of the Board are elected for three year terms. The positions are staggered such that one third of the Board is elected each year. The Executive Officers of the Board (i.e. President, Vice President and Corporate Secretary) are elected by the Directors every year.
The Board operates under the Carver or Policy governance model. In this model, the Board sets policies for the operation of the school, hires a Head of Schools to implement these policies, and monitors the operation of the school through these policies. The Board also creates strategic plans for the school.
The Board of Directors looks to the parent community for advice, expertise and potential Board Membership. You do not have to be a member of the Board of Directors to participate in projects being developed by a Board Committee. If you have a particular interest, please let any member of the Board or the school administration know.