Toddler Community, 18 months- 3 years
At OMS, the Toddlers are cared for by the same adults, in the same environment throughout the day; before and after ‘school’ care is incorporated into their program. The Toddler Community is truly their home away from home.
Our Toddler environment is as home–like as possible but with Toddler-size sinks, toilets and shelves. Unlike other Montessori programs, there are only a small number of Toddlers together (up to 15) and a larger number of adults (a 5:1 ratio of children to adult) because Toddlers need more one-on-one assistance than older students. However, all activities in the community are designed to foster independence and self–reliance.
The activities in the Toddler Community are designed to stimulate the Toddler and to aid the process of development. The Toddler Program is designed specifically to meet the needs, natural curiosity, and interests of children from 18 months to three years of age. This stimulating learning environment promotes cognitive and gross motor development, the development of the senses, language, hand-eye co–ordination, independence and self–esteem. There are also many opportunities for self–expression through music and movement.
- (1 class of 15 children, 1 Directress, 3 Assistants)
- The Toddler Community is licensed under CCEYA, Child Care and Early Years Act.
- Children must be between 18 months and 2 years 6 months of age when entering the program
- Children are not required to be toilet trained
- This full day program includes a hot lunch, morning and afternoon snacks and nap-time.
- Drop off and pick up times are flexible but there is no half-day option.
- New children are phased into the class after the first week. Children come in for a short period at first, and then the time is lengthened to provide each child with the most positive experience of beginning school. It takes until the end of September for all new children to be phased in.
Sample Daily Schedule
Regular routines help the Toddler feel secure so the Toddler Community follows a set daily schedule
- 7:30 – 8:45 a.m. Welcome children. Change from outdoor clothing. Toileting. Beginning of Montessori work cycle -development through Montessori materials
- 8:45 – 10 a.m. Montessori work cycle
- 10 – 10:30 a.m. Morning snack
- 10:30 – 11 a.m. Toileting. Dress for outdoor play
- 11 – 11:45 a.m. Outdoor play
- 11:45 – 12 p.m. Undress/ Toileting. Prepare for lunch
- 12 – 1 p.m. Eat lunch
- 1 – 1:15 p.m. Toileting/ Prepare for nap
- 1:15 – 3 p.m. Nap Time
- 3 – 3:15 p.m. Awake. Toileting
- 3:15 – 4 p.m. Story time/ Activities/ Music
- 4 – 4:30 p.m. Snack
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m Indoor/ Outdoor Play. Parent pick-up